Thursday, March 10, 2011

Friends of old ...

I have had friends throughout the years that have come and gone. Have kept track of a few, lost track of too many, have reconnected with some through the wonderful world of internet. The losses have saddened me but I guess it can't be helped. I guess if you can count two or three people true friends you maintain throughout your life, you can consider yourself fortunate indeed.

Now that I have started travelling for a living, I will meet somebody who will remind me of someone in my past and it will take me quite a while to figure out from which part of my life they may be from.
What is important are the roles people have played in my life. I am who I am today based on interactions with people throughout the years... the funny thing is, that those who have hurt me the most I am almost the most grateful for (notice I said "for" and not "to") for without the trials by fire I wouldn't be strong as I am today, nor would I be the person I have found myself to be. However, the ones I am most greatful to are the ones who were there for me in my darkest moments, saw the best in me, saved my life (literally in one instance), who love me as I am - flaws and all. And I am also most greatful for two young men who are obviously more to me than just friends, they're also my sons. They too have saved my life without even knowing it and I will forever be thankful to God for bringing them into my life, and hope they know how blessed my life is because they are in it.